Ethical Principles & Publication Policy
Toplum ve Kültür Araştırmaları Dergisi (Journal of Social & Cultural Studies) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Contribution Rate, Conflict Of Interest And Statement Of Support Received
- All authors of scientific papers submitted to the journal should take into account the International Standards for Editors and Writers of COPE (Committee on Publication Ethics).
- Authors are required to use their ORCID ID when submitting an article for consideration.
- It is allowed all versions of the articles to be deposited in an institutional or other repository of the author’s choice without embargo.
- Turnitin or Itenticate plagiarism reports should also be attached to the articles to be submitted.
- “Journal of Social and Cultural Studies” (J-SCS) is published in Turkish and English. The journal is published twice a year, in June and December.
- “Journal of Social and Cultural Studies” is open to the work of all researchers who have the title “Ph.D.” or “Ph.D. student”. It is not obligatory that the second, third, and fourth authors of the article have the title “Ph.D.” or “Ph.D. student”. An article should has been written by max. four authors.
- Double-blind peer-review is valid in the journal. The articles prepared in accordance with the writing rules are presented to the reviewer for review after they have passed the editorial review. The reviewer may ask for a correction to the article, directly refuse or accept it. For the articles declined as a result of the reviewer evaluation, a second reviewer may be requested by the author, If the editors’ board finds that the request is appropriate, the article will be sent to a second reviewer.
- The articles previously published in another publication or in the evaluation stage by another publication are not accepted into “Journal of Social and Cultural Studies” publication process. All the ethical and legal responsibilities related to the published articles belong to the authors.
- Estimated evaluation period of each articles is 90-120 days.
- Authors of articles published in “Journal of Social & Cultural Studies” waive the copyright of their articles without prejudice to the following rights.
- Patent rights are not covered by copyright transfer.
- The author(s)’ are allowed to use and reuse articles under the same license CC-BY as third parties. So the author(s)’ right to use the entire article in their future books or other works free of charge.
- No fees are charged for publications, no fees are paid to the editors, the editorial board, and the reviewers and their owners. It is accepted that the authors who submit articles to the contact address for publication in the journal should read and acknowledge this copyright statement.
Open Access Policy:
- “Journal of Social and Cultural Studies” (J-SCS) is published only in electronic form through its website & Dergipark. It adopts “Open Access Policy”.
- All articles submitted to the journal are deemed to approve the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License under which the journal is licensed.
- According to the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License the material can be copied, redistributed in any medium or format and adapted for any purpose, including commercially purposes, under the terms specified in https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.tr#.
- “Journal of Social and Cultural Studies” (Toplum ve Kültür Araştırmaları Dergisi) J-SCS supports the initiative of open access of the peer-reviewed journal literature included in the Budapest Open Access Declaration and offers all published articles free of charge in an environment that everyone can access. In this declaration, open access means that “scientific literature can be accessed, read, saved, copied, printed, scanned, linked to full text, indexed, transferred to the software as data and used for any legal purpose, without financial, legal and technical barriers via the internet”. Therefore, studies in this journal can be used as long as the author and original source are cited. No permission is required from the authors or the journal authorities. The work in this journal is available across search engines, websites, blogs and other digital platforms. These open access policies adopted by our journal can be accessed at http://www.budapestopenaccessinitiative.org/read
- Turnitin and iThenticate – Plagiarism Prevention Programs are used in many academic journals and “Journal of Social and Cultural Studies” to detect plagiarism in academic studies.
- The program has a comprehensive academic content directly related to the evaluation of academic publications. Each document uploaded to Turnitin and iThenticate is compared to documents in a large database.
- The authors who submit their works are deemed to have declared that they have not committed any ethical violation.
- Journal editors review the reports qualitatively and quantitatively. The works of authors who are found to have plagiarized through the Turnitin and iThenticate programs are not included in our journals.The report on this subject is sent to the author and (if necessary) to the relevant institutions and organizations.
Contribution Rate, Conflict Of Interest And Statement Of Support Received:
- Contribution rate, conflict of interest and statement of support received must be submitted by completing the form above. This form, together with the article and other documents, should be uploaded to the system during the application or sent to the editor via e-mail. Submissions without a signed form will not be considered. As of 2023, the declarations in these forms are given at the end of the article.
Ethical Rules for Authors:
- All authors must have significantly contributed to the research.
- All authors are obliged to provide retractions or corrections of mistakes.
- Authors should read and sign the copyright agreement at the top of the page and send it to the contact address.
- The articles previously published in another publication or in the evaluation stage by another publication are not accepted into “Journal of Social and Cultural Studies” publication process.
- All the ethical and legal responsibilities related to the published articles belong to the authors.
- It should be ensured that the articles, figures, drawings, findings and conclusions are made in accordance with the rules of academic publication and do not contain plagiarism in any way.
- In the following cases, the submission of the ethics committee report is mandatory.
– All kinds of research conducted with qualitative or quantitative approaches that require data collection from the participants by using survey, interview, focus group work, observation, experiment, interview techniques,
– Use for human (including material/data) experimental or other scientific purposes,
– Retrospective studies in accordance with the personal data protection law.
The necessary explanation should be included in the footnotes of the articles submitted to the ethics committee report.
- The author whose name is written first in the article is assigned as Corresponding Author and acts on behalf of all co-authors and ensures that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately addressed.
- Role of the Corresponding Author
- The Corresponding Author is responsible for the following requirements:
- Ensuring that all listed authors have approved the manuscript before submission, including the names and order of authors;
- Managing all communication between the Journal and all co-authors, before and after publication;
- Providing transparency on the re-use of material and mentioning any unpublished material included in the manuscript in a cover letter to the Editor;
- Making sure disclosures, declarations, and transparency on data statements from all authors are included in the manuscript as appropriate.
Ethical Rules for Editors:
- Field editors and issue editors will examine whether the articles are original, scientific, or not, according to the criteria above.
- A plagiarism report from the Turnitin or Itenticate plagiarism program will be evaluated by the issue editor. Articles that appear problematic will be reviewed by the editorial board.
- The reviewer evaluation process will not be initiated for any article that is not approved by the Editor – Editorial Board.
Ethical Rules for Reviewers:
- Peer-review is defined as obtaining advice on individual manuscripts from reviewers’ experts in the field.
- Judgments are required to be objective.
- Reviewers are required to have no conflict of interest.
- Reviewers are required to point out relevant published work that is not yet cited.
- Reviewed articles are treated confidentially.
- Reviewers will evaluate the article in terms of academic quality as well as compliance with https://publicationethics.org/guidance standards and general international publication ethics.
On ethical issues, Reviewers and editors work on the principle of cross-checking.